Wednesday, July 23, 2008

penny from heaven

Was out walking this morning. A lady with a walker passed me in front of the catholic church. She bent down to pick up a penny.

"Wow!" her companion said, That's good luck."

They seemed to be pretty excited about the penny.

I tried to recall the last time I picked up a penny. I may have thrown a few away out of shear laziness. Not good.

But I remember being excited about a penny. 1945 to be exact. Double Bubble or Bazooka Bubble gum. I can remember how it smelled, how it tasted and the bubbles. You tried to blow the biggest bubble possible and of course it popped in your face. That is when you used the wad to get the gum off. I guess gum sticks to gum. Dab, dab, dab...

I also recall the penny candy. My favorites were Bit-O-Honey and candy cigarettes. I had it down pat. Inhale, blow smoke, tap off the ash, just like Loretta young.

I once had a dog named Penny but that's another post.

No comments: